Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Brain tumor - Acromegaly

Aaaa-crow-meee-guh-lee. What is that!?


It's what I have been diagnosed with - I'll explain in a moment. First, a word to my friends and family who already know my history:


I've tried not to inundate our family website with blog entries about my health. Instead, I've been looking for a place (apart from our website) to write down my feelings. I have an urge to share what's happened this past year without wearing out the subject. I hope to be an encouragement to the public or anyone who may be going through a similar situation as mine. This is primarily why I've signed up on this blog.


I was diagnosed in May 2005 with a 2.5 cm macroadenoma and had it removed at UCLA Medical Center the same year. It was considered a large benign tumor located under my brain in the sella turcica (skull base). It was growing against my pituitary gland, between my carotid arteries, and against the optic nerve (the central nerve center for sight). It was found incidentally via MRI when my ENT doctor looked for the cause of chronic ear pain. Lab work and a pathology report confirmed my tumor is "functioning," which means it secretes excess hormones. In my case, the tumor produces prolactin and growth hormone (plurihormonal).


I was diagnosed with acromegaly because of excess growth hormone secretion. In the long run, this could have caused huge problems. Unfortunately, most people receive this diagnosis when clinical symptoms are apparent. The neurosurgeon I initially saw in Dallas said he was sure I would have lost my sight if my doctor hadn't found the tumor when he did.


I'll begin this blog with a journal entry I posted on our family website last year, a couple of days after the tumor was found. I've been thinking a lot about what happened that night, and I find it was no accident that things happened as they did. Looking back, I believe it was God's way of reminding me that he is in control:


- Sunday, May 29, 2005


Okay...so I think the circulation has returned to my limbs, and I picked myself off the floor and am ready to proceed to whatever is next in this illness. I've researched a little on pituitary tumors, and frankly, I'd rather have a couple more kids without an epidural before proceeding to brain surgery...but I suppose we'll have to take this situation and go with it one step at a time.


Yesterday Dave and I went on a date. It's been raining here in Texas and was raining pretty hard last night. We drove into a deep water puddle on the road at about 50 miles an hour. We spun around a couple of times with the tree, telephone pole, and cars in close view. Dave and I were silent through the whole ordeal-not even a scream! In the beginning, Dave tried to steer the vehicle to get control, but then we began traveling backward and sideward into a couple of spins. Dave finally let go of the wheel because we were going so fast and realized he had no control over the situation. He made some remark about that being "FUN." But, of course, it was not my idea of a fun date...ha. 


I am fortunate to be here typing something on this blog. Amazingly we stopped in the middle of the road with no scratch on the car or us (Thank you, LORD!) We spent most of our date at Sam's auto shop to make sure the car was okay and eatin' an appetizer of pretzels (sure beats a trip to the hospital!). Reflecting on this little scare we had last night, I've drawn parallels to what happened last night and the news of my tumor. Right now, I think Dave and I feel like we're spinning in the car with all the horrible things that could happen in our view. And we could try to hold the steering wheel and go in a particular direction, but the reality is that this is beyond our control. We'll have to ride it out and pray for the best outcome. Ultimately, my life is in God's hands, and my days are no less numbered than what God had ordained at my birth. I have to trust that this is just part of the plan he had for me. Last night I realized I could die in a car wreck before I die of a tumor. When everything settles, regardless of the outcome, I will be in a better situation than where I am today...