Wednesday, May 30, 2007

IGF-1 Climbing?

Since my surgery I have had (low) normal IGF-1 labs; because of this, it has been assumed that I am in remission from acromegaly. It seems the surgery was successful in removing most (if not all) of the tumor. However, my most recent MRI mentioned there was possibly residual tumor in the left cavernous sinus as well a developing mass on the right side of the cavernous sinus. My most recent IGF-1 was up a bit from 129 to 202.

Even though my Somatomedin-C (IGF-1) is considered normal, the result is higher from my previous reading 5 months ago. I asked my doctor if the fluctuation of my IGF-1 is normal or if this was an indication that residual tumor exists. He said it's hard to know for sure, and requested the glucose suppression test to be sure.


Growth hormone is supposed to supress below 1.0 ng/mL after my body is loaded with 75g of a glucose drink. Here are my results:

Baseline GH is 1.55 ng/mL
30 min 0.55
60 min 0.23
90 min 0.20
120 min 0.25


As you can see, my GH is completely normal. If there is residual tumor in the cavernous sinus, it is not producing excess hormone - this is great news!