Thursday, August 19, 2010

Remission Five Years and Counting

I had my annual check-up earlier this month at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Five years ago today I was in the operating room at UCLA Medical Center having my tumor removed. Right now my health is excellent. The residual tumor on my carotid artery is still stable and not actively excreting any excess hormones. Also, my pituitary is functioning as it should. I am relieved by the good news!

While I was in Houston I met a fellow acromegalic for the first time. Marisol is a member of the Acromegaly Community and she had surgery in September 2009 to remove her tumor which was followed by radiation. She contacted me through my blog last year and we have kept in touch ever since. It was so neat to meet her in person and I really enjoyed our visit. The most wonderful news is that she is pregnant again and her baby is due in December!

The only thing pending at the moment is I am scheduled for a repeat CT scan in September to observe the condition of my sphenoid sinus which has given me trouble off and on these past few years. However, I can hardly complain because it's a drop in the bucket compared to the health problems I could have incurred from this whole ordeal. Everything looks so good that I have been told by my endocrinologist that I do not have to return for an MRI or labwork for 18 months. I am still waitng to hear from my neurosurgeon, but I suspect he will agree will the findings.